Thursday, October 19, 2006

Tin or Aluminum? Really?

I have found that I walk a fine line between Traditional and Modern when it comes to my way of thinking.

But I cannot agree with either choice today. Tin or Aluminum? WTF?

Anyway, I promise this will make sense in a few paragraphs.

Let’s go back about 13 years ago.

I was in love. But the girl I was in love with was “promised” to another guy. Let me clarify that “promised” is only because she had a “promise ring” on from a guy she had been dating for 2.5 years.

I was sick. I knew that I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with her. She was my very first girlfriend. She was the first girl I ever kissed. She was a fellow band geek like me. I fell in love with her the first time I saw her back when I was 15. I knew then that she was special. We split in high school which was typical high school stuff but we always stayed good friends and now she was promised to some jerk who never knew how great she was.

My very good friend told me, “If this guy does not treat her well” He didn’t. “then get rid of him.” (not Soprano’s style)

“Okay” I replied.

The next few months I spent talking to her and finding out how their relationship was. I discovered even more awful stories about how this guy treated her. She was not happy but was almost just settling for this guy. I took the biggest risk I have ever taken in my life and said,

“Look, I am totally in love with you. I know that we are supposed to be together and if for one second you think that it would work with me and that you would like to try let me know and I will be there. I want to spend everyday of my life with you. I want to laugh, cry, win, lose, dance, sing, win the lottery, live in a box, what ever life brings, I want to do it with you.”

She says, “I have been waiting for this for so long. I thought that since you and [some girl I was dating for a while] were together that we would never have a chance. When [the jerk] asked me to wear this promise ring I told him I would have to think about it. I called [a mutual friend] and asked how the two of you were doing and she said that you guys were doing great so I figured, oh well and told [the jerk] that I would wear it.”

Then she kissed me.

I cannot even tell you how long my face was stuck in a smile. I felt like I flew home that night. And I can feel it now when I think about it.

Today is our 10 year anniversary.

We have a home. We have 2 wonderful children. We have a good life. We have each other.

I don’t think Tin or Aluminum can even come close.

15 comments:

Minnesota Nice said...

That's very nice. Makes me wonder how many opportunities have been missed(whether in love or anything else) because we didn't know the "full story".

Allison said...

Awwwwww.

::sniff::

That was beautiful, man. I mean that.

Tekakwitha said...

Lovely.

tek

Kerri. said...

SuperG,

That story was so sweet. I didn't understand the reference at the beginning, but once I read that it was your 10 year anniversary, it all clicked and you made me smile.

Happy Anniversary, SuperG. and Mrs. SuperG. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary George!

Thanks for sharing a bit of your special history with us.....

And let there be many more to come!

Vivian said...

G-Dog and Mrs. G-Dog,
(POP) ...that was the champagne...
Congratulations on 10 years. I hope and pray you will have many more decades to come. Enjoy the wonderful family that you are and know that we appreciate you allowing us to be a little part of your family.

Keith said...

That's super, George! There's no telling how many great relationships have been missed because noone had the courage to challenge the status quo.

To the victor go the spoils! Congratulations and Happy Anniversary!

Major Bedhead said...

Awwww, how sweet.

Happy Anniversary to both of you.

Scott K. Johnson said...

G-Money! You Rock man! That is an awesome story and you guys now have built on that love and are raising a beautiful family!

Congratulations to the both of you!

justme said...

happy happy anniversary! That story nearly made me cry ... And wishes to the missus also!

Penny Ratzlaff said...

Awww, George, how sweet!! Happy Anniversary!!! (and here's to many, many more)

caramaena said...

What a lovely story. I'm so glad you took the chance and told her. Happy anniversary!

Sarah said...

ah man, that made me weepy! Happy Anniversary!

Johnboy said...

Now that is cool! Happy Anniversary, George. :)

Anonymous said...

I love that story so much!! serisously you should write chicken soup for the soal or something!!! I would read it and cry like I do all the other stories that they put in that book!
love ya man-
Lisa