Wednesday, March 22, 2006

8 Years Ago Today

Sunday at church was the norm. I was leading the band and congregation in praise and worship which I love to do. My wife Jasmine was sitting out in the pews as usual with our son George. They were both singing along and clapping as loud as possible so the rest of the congregation will hopefully figure out to clap on 2 and 4 instead of the dreaded 1 and 3!

During the Pastor’s Sermon my wife gets up and heads out of the church. I assume to use the ladies room. She comes back and tells me, I need to go home. She decided to wait since the service was almost over and we headed straight home. She was sure she had an accident. She was so embarrassed since this had been happening often.

When she got home she started to fill terrible. Her stomach was cramping up and she could hardly stand up. We called a friend to come over and stay with George so I could get Jasmine to the hospital.

Luckily, we got there just in time. We got checked into our room and after only a few hours, we were both introduced to our daughter Gillian.

When George was born I was so excited that I didn’t even care if our baby was a boy or a girl. In fact, I forgot to even ask or check! I was so happy that our first baby was here that I didn’t even think about. Then the doctor said, “It’s a boy!” WHAT? Oh that’s right! What an awesome day!

Well with Gillian, the second she was born I rushed to see what the baby was. The umbilical cord was in the way so I was totally freaking out! “What is it? What is it!?!!!??!!” The doctor said, “It’s a girl.”

I bet the whole hospital wing must have heard me shout for joy! “We got our girl!”

To think that my baby is 8 today makes me feel old and sad sometimes. But, seeing what an amazing person she is becoming and how our relationship has evolved from constant care giver to being able to hang out and talk together has been such a blessing.

Life is good.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

That's a really nice post. I was laughing about your wife thinking she had an "accident".

It sounds like you have a wonderful relationship with your daughter. It's nice when dads and daughters have that.

Anonymous said...

too sweet you should show gill what you wrote about her. i must say you had me going at first. proud Auntie Jen