Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Blooper Time

I really wanted to wait to post something with some substance to it but I had to share what happened last night.

I changed out my infusion set last night. I pulled out all of the little pieces, grabbed my insulin, a diet pepsi (for mental clarity), and laid them all out on the coffee table ready to start anew.

Reservoir filled? CHECK
Infusion set connected? CHECK
Chose a site, cleaned with IV Prep Pad? AFFIRMATIVE
Loaded “Quick-serter” device and removed paper to reveal adhesive? YUP
BAM! We are in, the site looks good, doesn’t hurt, and um… oh crap.
I forgot to prime.

My wife looks at me like "What the hell are you doing?." I just cracked up and said, “I cannot be the first person to do this.”

On a good note, I went to bed with a 120 and woke this morning with a 105 (I slept through my 2AM alarm) so it looks as though my night time basal rate is pretty good.

Well, back to the lab.

3 comments:

floreksa said...

Hehehehe, on the IV prep and forgetting to prime.

DH still laughs at how hapazardly I no do site changes, compared to the meticulous 15 minute procedure I went through when I first got the pump. I don't think I've had an IV Prep swab or alcohol swab in my house in YEARS (bad, Sarah, Bad!) LOL

Anonymous said...

No, definitely not the first person!

I don't know how you did handle it, but you can just disconnect the tubing from the site, prime until you see insulin coming out the plastic 'O', reconnect and do a fixed prime to fill the cannula.

Strangely, when I use Quicksets now (rarely) I usually end up actually doing it this way. I'm probably odd, but I just like getting the set into me first, then dealing with the resevoir and tubing. Probably comes from one too many sets dropped on the floor before I got round to putting them in!

Congrats on your pump start. Sorry I wasn't around sooner.

Christine said...

I always prime after the site is in. Sounds silly, but works for me.

I put the site in, then disconnect the tubing and prime, then reconnect and do the fixed prime bit.

I almost primed when I was connected one- don't recommend that.