Sunday, January 21, 2007

Everything Happens for a Reason


On my last post I wrote about how I was bummed that I could not make it out to see my sister this weekend.

But there was a very good reason why.
The African Children's Choir came to our church this morning and led worship.

Wow.

Now, I know not all of you are church goers which is fine. I will not get all Gospel on you so don't run away. This post is for everyone in need of a little hope.

Today, St. Andrew Lutheran Church was blessed to have 26 children from Uganda come and lead them in worship. Their songs and stories were so touching and moving that I actually came back for the second service just to see them again.

The 14 girls and 12 boys came dancing into the sanctuary to the sound of booming tribal drums, being played by 3 of the boys, and singing at the top of their lungs. Instantly a wave of excitement rushed over everyone in church.

Their brightly colored outfits were only outshone by their enthusiastic smiles. Each one with a different story, a unique path, their own hopes and dreams. It was incredible.

After energizing uplifting versions of songs we sing in church and soft, touching slower songs that were new to me, a video was shown about the group. I thought I was done crying but I was wrong.

On the screen were images of Uganda in times of war and famine. The war may be over but the famine and poverty remain. The video was narrated by a woman who was in the very first ACC and she is now a journalist.

She told stories of other children who are now doctors, lawyers, and engineers in their home country. It was awesome to see how the money they have raised has made a difference. How these kids that may not have had a chance, now have a future.

The other thing about it is that they want to help their country. They do not take their new knowledge and go elsewhere. They come back to their towns and villages and help their own people. It is a very beautiful journey.

These little kids singing have auditioned and been accepted to go on this mission. They are ambassadors for their country. Representatives of all the other kids that did not make the choir but are in need of an education just the same. They travel the world singing and spreading their message of hope.

Raising awarness. Raising funds. Raising spirits!

7 comments:

Chrissie in Belgium said...

I am really happy your weekend turned out great. Maybe these children's choirs can perhaps wake people up to the world's problems. Nevertheless, I do NOT know if everything happens for a reason. As a trivial, minor example: our weather forecast was for beautiful weather, total sunshine on Sunday. We took a 3 hour walk in the countryside. All was fine the first hour, hunky-dory. We met so many more people than usual, everybody was out sucking up the sun.... But then we looked behind us and saw the whole sky covered with thick menacing dark clouds. OMG we thought. We got caught up in a really violent rain storm with BIG winds. I practically could not step against the wind force in my face. Pouring rain. There we were sloshing around in muddy paths, sopping wet. We were dressed completely inappropriately! Poor Skye. It was so windy! Hypos set in and kept me in the 50s the rest of the walk and the whole following night even after decreasing my dinner bolus by 50%. But I did drink coke after every low test.... Well, what was the reason for that???? Well maybe people ought to wake up to global warming??!!! Maybe you ARE right!

Minnesota Nice said...

George - you and I have talked about this before, but once again I must say that the healing power of music is boundless....
Have a great week ahead!!

Major Bedhead said...

It sounds like a beautiful choir. What a great mission. I'm going to see if they're going to be around my area any time soon. I love choirs, especially children's choirs. I remember my parents taking me to see the Vienna Boys Choir when I was young. It gave me goosebumps. THeir singing was other-worldly.

Anonymous said...

Their concerts are always sold-out within hours in Vancouver BC, they are a great choir indeed. Successes story for most parts of Uganda also a reminder of the forgotten war stillgoing on in Northern Uganda - Lets pray for an end to all wars.

Bernard said...

George

Thanks for telling me about this group - the description is great. Unfortunately they don't seem to be in the Northeast much. I'll have to check their New Hampshire date in May.

I do love singing, especially choral and gospel stuff. You might like the CD Awesome God which is incredible a cappella singing. I also like Morten Lauridsen's work, especially Lux Aeterna - I have the CD by the Los Angeles Master Chorale.

Listening to either of these CDs gives me goosebumps. I'll bet you had some of those on Sunday.

Amberthyme said...

Hi George!
Thanks for adding me to your blogroll! I've been lurking for awhile (and can't remember if I've posted anything). Isn't it amazing that when your plans get dumped it's usually for a very good reason. The choir sounds amazing. Hopefully you'll be able to reinstate your previous plans and see your sister soon. I notice there are no makeover pics . . .

-Amber

Scott K. Johnson said...

Sounds really touching man! Glad that you were able to see it!