Wednesday, February 06, 2008

We Have Lift Off!

Last night my buddy came over and we worked out in my garage AKA the Slimmons Gym. We did cardio and weight lifting. He is one of those dudes that played Football in high school and can like crush soda can using his neck muscles so I was a little nervous.

He was totally cool and made sure I wasn’t too hard on myself. I am one of those people that over does it which leads to extra sore muscles for days and in turn keeps from wanting to exercise again. Not a good combination. I am sore but it is a good feeling. Like I said a while back, I am not a fan of traditional exercise but it helps to have a pal to workout with.



The big mistake of the night was that I had dinner before we worked out. Everything seemed okay but after we were done but stomach started feeling funny. I checked my BG and was at 160. A little high but I had eaten earlier. I did a ketone check which came up negative. I drank another bottle of water and that was it. I ran to the bathroom and (I’ll use my favorite word for this) “launched.”

I was a new man. And I just gained like 10 Weight Watcher points! SWEET

Note to self: EAT DINNER AFTER EXERCISE

What do you guys do when you work out in the evenings?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always been an "eat, then exercise" kind of guy. After your body acclimates to it, it gets easier. You also burn calories more efficiently. I just got my pump, we'll see how this translates with my new bionics.

Anonymous said...

Slimmons? *eye roll*

I exercise 'right after' work. I have a small snack at 4ish - like a snakc bag of those Ritz peanut butter crackers. Workout about 5:30 or 6 and have dinner after at about 7.

It makes for a late night but I can't imagine working out on a full stomach or feeling motivated to leave my apartment after I am home.

maybe I need a home gym?!

Jillian said...

Barfing aside. I can't help but wonder if you were Sweating to the Oldies?

Shannon said...

Well, what I do is neither here nor there since I don't have diabetes, but I workout before I eat dinner. If I'm really hungry, I'll have a light snack beforehand so I'm not so distracted by hunger during my workout.

Congrats on a great workout Richard Slimmons!

Shannon said...

OMG, I just saw Jillian's comment. I guess we commented at the same time.

Great minds think alike, LOL.

George said...

Shawn-Maybe my body was just not ready for it.

Sara-My budy called me George Slimmons a while back it made me laugh. I forgot, you met Clay! :)

Jillian-Although I did "deal a meal" for a while i was not a STTO watchers. ;)

Shannon-what is weird is I wear dove short when I work out so maybe we are related! :P

Bad Decision Maker said...

it's a quandary. a lot of times i have a snack and then eat dinner really late (like 9 or 10), after i work out. but i generally have a weird schedule.

successful days usually involve me having a snack while still at work or on the way home. that way, it doesn't turn into all-out snackfest that is the size of dinner and defeats the whole purpose of not eating dinner yet, which is what tends to happen if i sit down at home while hungry.

Scott K. Johnson said...

Dude, I laughed out loud when you talked about gaining back WW points!

I was going to say "Dude, I LOL'd when you...", but it just didn't seem right. Damn IM language.